[BNM] GDPR shenanigans

James Hedley jim.hedley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 15:53:39 BST 2021

Hi Simon,

Delete everything you can permanently. Any data you need to retain should
be defined and governed by a controlled document somewhere in your QMS. For
me, when a customer exercises their right to be forgotten (Art.17) I will
attempt to delete all of their personal data (everything we can find
relating to that individual when searching the nominated structured
systems; email system, CRM etc.) Data that we need to keep is detailed
upfront, and for us is data currently subject to a legal hold, or data
relating to a previous regulatory or non-regulatory complaint - this data
is kept for 10 years as defined in our data retention policies and also in
our published privacy policy. When having to keep that old complaint data,
it is orphaned from the data subject's account and stored elsewhere, so the
original account can be deleted.
In reality, deleting local records will often leave a back-up or archive
somewhere but if that data is out of reach of normal processing activities,
that is normally fine. Some companies keep email addresses to stop you
signing up for free trials, demanding to be forgotten, then resubscribing
for a free trial again... some don't (looking at you Adobe) but as long as
they're upfront about what they do and the processing is regarded as
'necessary and proportional', they're covered.

With regards keeping the details of the actual request to be forgotten, I
keep the name, email address and timestamp of the request in a system that
sits outside of our defined structured systems (so as not be in scope of
future data subject requests itself) for a period of 3 years.

Advice to retain data outside of that defined above because 'it might be
needed later' is the kind of stuff that gives me sleepless nights but I do
work for a hugely risk-averse Swiss medical co.

KR
Jim

--

James Hedley