[BNM] A cautionary note on posting

Paul Silver pj.silver at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 28 10:19:35 GMT 2003

If the libel is that company has failed in it's service, or has done
something wrong in it's service, and they can show beyond reasonable
doubt that they did not, that means the statement that they have done
something wrong is libellous. Now, if the person saying the potential
libel has proof their statement is correct, then it's not a problem and
the solicitor working for the original company would probably back off
before taking it to court because there's a good chance they'll lose.

Now, thing is, this particular situation isn't helped by the original
poster not exactly having the spare dough to take all this to court at
the moment. I've worked for a very court-action happy company in the
past, who've got posts about them removed from forum archives on more
than one occasion. As in this case, the forum owners would rather get
rid of the post rather than try going to court about it. Is this
unfair? Perhaps. In this case, the poster involved can always put their
views up on a web page on their own space, with the risks that involves.

Given the number of posts in the archive, one post causing a temporary
problem does not seem to be a reason for blocking off the whole, or a
significant chunk of, the archive.

Paul