[BNM] SMS question

Robert J Shepherd bnmlist@brightonnewmedia.org
Fri Feb 15 11:06:01 2002

The capacity problem isn't at the processing, it's at the antennae. Last time I checked (about a year ago) a normal mobile phone antenna only carried about 20-25 calls at any one moment and your phone is only tuned into one antenna at any one moment. So only around 20 cellnet, 20 vodaphone, 20 orange and 20 one2one users in the brighton centre (and seafront surrounds) can make simultaneous phone calls (and remember that other brands use these 4 providers: virgin mobile, for example, is on the one2one network).

However, text is a very tight little bundle of data so it uses antenna capacity for only a brief amount of time. Given the rarity with which two people would press their send buttons at exactly the same moment, and assuming reception for all 4 networks (which is questionable at the brighton centre) I'd guess that a couple of thousand texts could be sent per minute, though a significant number of users would find themselves having to try more than once.